Tuesday 25 June 2013

Do you remember the first time?


My first experience of Science Fiction that I can recall was Z for Zachariah by Robert C O’Brien.  This was a book that I read at school as part our English lessons; we would each take it in turns to read aloud to the class a few pages at a time. The exact date and time I am unclear of, but it was probably my first year at senior school – so that would be roughly 25 years ago.  We also read Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by the same author at around the same time – but no more on that book.
 
I haven’t thought about Z for Zachariah in a long time – and the memory was stirred by this blog - but I got to thinking why I always come back to this genre, what is it that appeals to me, what has influenced my reading habits. I have spent long periods of time away from Sci-Fi (years at a time) but always seem drawn back to it.

Z for Zachariah is classed as post-apocalyptic fiction (a sub-genre in Sci-Fi), and I have read a number of these stories over the years  -The Stand, The Road, The Postman, I am Legend, Swan Song to name a few – and there are many more on my TBR pile.

This book in particular fascinated me, and it’s possibly the lone survivor element that stirs a perverse desire to experience that feeling of being on your own after some catastrophic event. I don’t remember if it was any good, but I do remember that the valley in which they found themselves had a weather system all of its own which meant they were unaffected by the fallout of Global Nuclear Apocalypse– which sounds pretty daft – but the text is aimed at early teens I would suspect.

What I didn’t realise was Robert C O’Brien died before completing the book. It was finished by his wife and daughter from notes he left. I will have to try eBay for a second hand copy and re-read again for old times’ sake and see if I can spot the differences in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment