Tuesday 9 July 2013

The Ganymede Takeover by Philip K Dick

They say a 'change is as good as a rest' and a change is exactly what I needed.

This might not be his best (it isn't) but the change of style has been more than welcome. I must confess that it takes quite a while usually to understand what on earth is going on with most of Dick's work. This was no exception, and for most of the book I was having to flick back to see what the characters were doing, and whose 'side' they were on.
 


Although the concept was unmistakably trademark Dick, it was obvious when one author started and the other stopped, and the blend didn't always work well.

There are some great ideas in this, and the usual Dick techno speak and some humour too, but overall a story that didn't really go anywhere. I have a number of reviews that mark this out as one of his best works, but it just doesn't feel as complete as Flow my Tears, or Dr Bloodmoney.

Not sure what I will read next - I have a TBR pile with more than 100 books in it - but received a nice second hand copy of Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg today in the post. I think I might try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment